Sunday, March 6, 2011

SWEET HOME ALABAMA



2002
Director:  Andy Tennant
Story Writer:  Douglas J. Eboch
Screenwriter:  C. Jay Cox







Look at all these men creating and directing a chic flick.  It's irony delivered on a silver plate to those who would easily assume only a lady could perfect such a love story.  This was a comforting thought to learn right before publicly admitting my love for some movies that float in a maidenly genre.  Sweet Home Alabama is definitely one of them.  I guess I can't escape the estrogen after all.

I definitely have this soundtrack and have been rocking out to a few songs ever since I bought it years ago.   My favorite is The Calling's "Keep Your Hands To Yourself",  and Jewel's version of "Sweet Home Alabama" jingles nicely on a warm, sunny day.  Even though they are not included in the soundtrack, No Doubt contributes "Hella Good" to the rocking intro of Andrew, Patrick Dempsey's character.

This movie follows a traditional and familiar fairy tale.  There are so many other love stories that stream the same message, yet so many people tell me they can watch this one over and over.  Here on Earth, The Notebook, Titanic and Dirty Dancing, along with an endless list of others, all stream the same love message.  It's the type of fight where money gets in the way of the heart.  The contents of the match typically contain the old and poor, yet loving boy battling the rich, charming guy.  Although the winner alternates from movie to movie, you can usually tell who the winning lady will choose to hold her arm within the first fifteen minutes.


How does Josh Lucas' character, Jake, win us over?  His hardworking ethic and loyalty to Reese Witherspoon's character sure helps him shine over Andrew and his mother controlled world.  For some, it could be Jake's dimples, but I think the rest of us are truly inspired through his genuine love.  Reese's eyes do light up like blue, sparkling gems when Jake answers her question about marriage with "so I can kiss you anytime I want."  Cute, but if you ask me, no chick flick has the same effect on me like Overboard.

This love story reminds us that no matter what you think, money can't buy all your battles, you silly fools.  Oh and also, "you can't ride two horses with one ass, sugarbean."

No comments:

Post a Comment