Wednesday, March 16, 2011

OPEN HOUSE

2010

Writer and Director:  Andrew Paquin

Starring:  Brian Geraghty, Rachel Blanchard, and Anna Paquin (although Anna is in it for ten seconds, and that includes the three seconds wasted on showing her dead body.)


I found this movie on On Demand today for free!  I decided to watch it because I was already intrigued when I saw it in a store.  Due to its overpricing and unlikely chance of even being worth the twenty-dollars, I did not purchase it.  I must admit today the advertising won me over as well.  Anna Paquin and Stephen Moyer are shown on the cover, leading one to assume they hold a relevant role in the story.  WRONG!

Overall, this movie is terrible and I am going to spoil everything about it in the hopes of saving you time and money.  Stephen Moyer's character is also introduced right before he is stabbed in the neck, during climax may I add.  It was weird to see him without bloody fangs in the sunlight.  His sex partner and killer, along with her socially awkward brother, break into an occupied, open house and go on a killing spree.  As they are slashing every person who walks through the front door, the brother is secretly keeping the owner of the house hostage.

Yeah, it's weird.  He and his sister have that incest flirtation going on that I can never grasp the concept of.  They never really establish what their malfunction is or why they enjoy going Texas Chainsaw Massacre in random open houses.  Above all, the film lacks character development, and therefore prevents the viewer from growing emotionally attracted to the characters.  Honestly, the only thing I looked forward to while watching this was the credits so I knew who to blame for this mess.

So after a few murderous rampages and an eye stabbing, the brother and sister are the only survivors.  It ends with them checking out a new open house, which the viewer thankfully gets to assume instead of watching, the same thing happens again.  If you want blood, your attention will be better spent on watching something like Texas Chainsaw Massacre, Friday the 13th, House of Wax, Saw, Halloween, Nightmare on Elm Street, or even Cabin Fever.  Ugh..NEXT!

No comments:

Post a Comment