Wednesday, March 9, 2011

A BRONX TALE



1993
Director:  Robert De Niro
Writer:  Chazz Palminterri
Starring:  Robert De Niro and Chazz Palminterri

Just watch it!  Oh, you've seen it already?  "Fuck you, pay me"...I mean watch it again!  I am fascinated how mafia movies make the viewer love the bad guys.  Henry Hill states something about Jimmy Conway in Goodfellas.  Henry's voiceover informs us "Jimmy was the type of guy who rooted for the bad guys in movies."  This is exactly what Scorsese and Pileggi did to us with Goodfellas, and De Niro and Palminterri with A Bronx Tale.  They make us love the bad guys.  I'm not judging, nor blaming anyone because I am definitely proud to admit I am one of the millions of victims who apparently root for the bad guys in movies.  

This story revolves around a young man, who as a boy got himself involved with the mafia without even knowing it.  The boy, C, constantly juggles two "families", a racially segregated neighborhood, and friends exploding with detrimental influence.  It differs from other mob movies because it also focuses on a respected and feared mob boss' sensitive side.  Aside from a few well-deserved outbreaks, Sonny can be described as a loving and compassionate guardian angel for C.  Pretty much, C grows and develops into young man while his father and Sonny butt heads.  Plus there are spurts of much desired, bloody violence!

Speaking of bloody violence, the best scene consists of bikers being thrown and Harley Davidsons turned into dominos.  Needless to say, these mobsters don't just wash your mouth out with soap for misbehaving.  My other favorite scene is C putting his date to the test.  Remember ladies, this is for real and I use this constantly on my girlfriend and friends.

On a side note, I genuinely encourage the viewing of this film, beings how I declined spoiling anything.  Please beware, this DVD is pretty difficult to find considering it is out of print.  Unfortunately, it is not available at Blockbuster, Best Buy, Movie Stop, or Wal Mart.  You must rely on yard sales, Ebay, and any cool friend who already owns a copy.  By good luck, my friends shall not fear.  My mother recently found me a copy! XO

No comments:

Post a Comment