Sunday, March 6, 2011

THE RESIDENT



2011

Director:  Antti Jokinen
Writers:  Antti Jokinen and Robert Orr
Starring:  Hilary Swank








I would like to dedicate this blog to On Demand for being a rockstar and a shitty drug at the same time.  I ordered this movie today (legally!) while it is currently playing in theaters.  Awesome!  Watching a new movie while smoking a cigarette on the couch.  I'm not sure how I can even think about ordering a movie that I have to pay for without the luxury of receiving a personal copy, when I have hundreds of unopened DVDs to choose from.  Thanks to On Demand being a lazy person's wet dream, this movie cost me $6.99 today.

The timing of this movie is what really convinced me it was worth the money and ninety minutes.  I am currently in the process of moving, which has forced me to obsess over the fear of having to trust someone new with a key to my home.  I also made a friend of mine (who is just about to move out on her own, may I add) sit in on the viewing of The Resident.  Let's just say this creepy mess was not financially satisfying, yet is effective awareness for young women.

Long story short, Hilary Swank moves in to a new apartment by herself after a recent divorce.  While still talking to her ex, she casually flirts with her handsome, yet creepy landlord.  She slowly grows suspicious of the obvious corruptness going down under her roof.  She invests in cameras, only to discover how perverted her new landlord is.

Although predictable, this film actually contained a few good points.  First, I
was impressed how the story revealed the landlord was indeed the culprit who was watching our main character.  The film rewound and reran a few familiar scenes, but this time from the intruder's perspective.  It revealed how his obsession with her began all the way up to him presently watching her in the bath tub.  Pretty cool and original.  I also like how the physical aspect of rape was visually hidden from the viewer, yet its presence was clear.

It also used other chilling methods to create the hidden, freakish side of the landlord.  This dude would spike her wine and suck on her fingers while she was passed out.  It was chilling to witness such oddness.  Almost disturbingly violating.  There was also a montage that included him brushing his teeth with her toothbrush and jerking off in her bath tub.  It makes me want cameras in the place I call my home.

My advice for everyone is to save your seven dollars, and instead of buying this movie with it, put it towards a new, shiny knife to keep near your pillow.  I also advise collecting sharp objects and planting them around your home for protection!  Well, that's just me;)


***If you are dying to hear my thoughts on a particular movie, feel free to contact me at TRWrysec@gmail.com.  If I haven't seen it already, I assure you I will at least put it at the top of my list.  Thanks!

No comments:

Post a Comment