Tuesday, March 22, 2011

DrUgGiE mOvIeS

Drug use can be seen in an infinite amount of movies, but only some surround their plots around them.  These types of movies are scattered in different genres.  Some keep you laughing, while others drain your serotonin and disturb your mood with their depressing story lines.

Weed infested films tend to float around with a comedic feel.  How High, Dazed and Confused, Super Troopers, and Half Baked are all burning with laughs, however, I am intrigued to discuss films with more of a raw and realistic feel.  Those few films that have the capability of squeezing your spine while your eyes are exposed to such horrific living situations.  The type of films where characters are eaten alive by heroin and cocaine addictions.

These stories literally make all of my problems seem a little better.  After all, I can't remember the last time I contemplated selling my things, or body for that matter, in order to pay my school loans.  Nor can I recall stealing from loved ones to pay for sudden car repairs.

Just saying Requiem for a Dream out loud creates a discomforting feeling in my stomach.  My first viewing of this movie left me in a depressed state because of its authentic peak into a drug swarmed reality.  The beginning of the film pumps you up for a wicked come down in the end.  This heart wrenching story makes my ears throb with endless teeth grinding.  One viewing of this will inject your soul with a lifetime of vexation.


Gia is one of my favorite movies in the world.  This is based on the true life and tragedy of the supermodel Gia Marie Carangie.  Angelina Jolie is an incredible replica of Gia, and I don't know a single person who would dispute that.  You find yourself in love with a woman you do not personally know, and therefore grow heartbroken when you see a wonderful life deteriorate from heroin abuse.  Unlike most films like this, Gia is seen as a victim rather than a drug addict.  The downward spiral immediately becomes apparent, but it's just too late to throw out that helping hand.

Along with these two films, Spun, The Basketball Diaries, and Wonderland stand above all when looking for a movie in this genre.  All these movies differ in their story telling approach, however, they all effectively execute the point.  Before you attempt to snort these movie concepts, remember they are an acquired taste.





  

1 comment:

  1. O gosh Gia that's my wife's favorite movie..she has read the books and knows all about Gia.

    Great blog by the way. When you get a chance check out my site as well!

    http://tooscarytowatch.blogspot.com

    Thanks
    Your new follower

    ReplyDelete