Tuesday, October 11, 2011

BRIDESMAIDS

2011 
Director:  Paul Feig
Writer:  Kristen Wiig and Annie Mumolo
Starring:  Kristen Wiig, Maya Rudolph, and Rose Byrne


Let me just start off by saying WHAT THE FUCK?  I think I got a defected DVD because this CANNOT possibly be the movie everyone was RaViNg about!  


I thought about this movie all day (after wasting a whole two hours watching it... since when are comedies two hours???) and finally figured out what really irritated me.  Usually movies in this genre contain a series of events that just go wrong in the life of the main character.  Embarrassing yet honest and realistic problems arise, causing the main character to react in a funny manner.  I feel that Christmas Vacation, American Pie, and You Again execute this routine and as a result, we laugh...numerous times.  They over exaggerate and make fools of themselves, and as we watch we somewhat justify their actions because we know if we were put in the situation, our lives would be a comedy show too.  


For example, Clark Griswold is forced to deal with assholes, a burning Christmas tree, 4728324238 lights that just won't work, and an insane brother-n-law in Christmas Vacation.  American Pie's Jim deals with all those puberty-driven obstacles we all are familiar with.  And Marnie, well you will just have to read my next blog, You Again.  


I feel like Bridesmaids was more "stupid humor".  The main character just tried too hard to be funny.  It was like instead of doing stupid and funny things, she was just stupid.  I thought her whole dating life was a joke.  Nothing hilarious ever came out of it.  I did dig the carrot cake though.  I didn't like the poopy puke scenes to say the least.  I also wasn't fond of the shower or even the plane ride.  The airplane scene especially should have been funnier.  I've see drunk girls on the train do worse and they weren't starring in a comedy movie, or at least they didn't think so;)  


I do admit the large, blonde English roommate was my favorite.  I did indeed laugh during her two short scenes.  There's just something about that English muffin!  Maybe this bitch should have been the main character because she would have committed some screen worthy and wild shit.  I also chuckled whenever the large "lesbian" bridesmaid even spoke, but still, I wanted more!!!  


I guess all the commotion people stirred up with this title really urged me to believe this was going to be the female version of Wedding Crashers that I've been waiting for.  I don't know, but they say laughing makes you lose weight.  Well I gained weight during these two hours.  


I suppose this is why I should just stick to horror movies.  My opinion on comedies is far too eccentric, primarily because I was spoiled with knee-slapping 80s and 90s movies back in the day.  If you enjoyed this movie, PLEASE comment why.  I am genuinely curious what the fuck possessed EVERYONE I know to allow this movie title to escape from your lips in such a positive way.  I hope I pissed you off enough to comment:)  And in all seriousness, You Again is a healthier choice considering you will definitely burn more calories laughing!



No comments:

Post a Comment