Tuesday, September 20, 2011

GETTING INSIDE...DOMINIQUE SWAIN

I fucking love Dominique Swain.  How could you not love this gorgeous soul?  She doesn't star in many well known films, but she somehow exerts herself and stands out in all of her roles.  Luckily, I will have the pleasure of personally asking her just how she does it when I meet her at Chiller Theatre on October 29, 2011 :)

The Smokers stands high on my favorite movie list.  Aside from its originality and underlying darkness, Swain stars as a good girl surrounded by edgy peer pressure.  I refuse to give out any details of the film in the hopes you will just watch it for yourself.  Ladies will especially enjoy this flick, and believe me when I say Dominique never disappoints.

New Best Friend is another favorite of mine.  Swain portrays a character who is wildly exploding with exemplary behavior.  She is the perfect example of a spoiled brat dedicated to wasting her daddy's money, that is.  This is another movie that is just too good to spoil.  

A friend of mine introduced me to this film.  It was another one of those DVDs that sat comfortably on my list of impossible movies to find due to its lack of advertisement I suppose.  Even though its cast includes other well known names like Taye Diggs, Mia Kirshner, and Rachel True, even I have never heard of it before.  

This is exactly why you can understand how ECSTATIC I was to literally stumble across it in the Christmas Tree Shops.  No matter what store I am in I ALWAYS browse through the DVDs, no matter how small of a collection is on display, in the hopes of finding a lucky one.  Buried between Lifetime movies and unheard of 80's films sat ONE copy of New Best Friend.  Not only was it the best $5.00 investment ever, but it also was a sign it was destined to reside on one of my many DVD shelves because I absolutely fell in love with it during my first viewing.  This story exerts many aesthetics including foreshadowing and twists told with a flashback technique.  I am a sucker for flashbacks.  

Not only are these two films absolutely amazing, but they also reveal Swain's talent of playing opposite characters and personalities on screen.  

You may also recognize Swain from Face Off.  She played John Travolta's rebellious daughter who stabs him with a butterfly knife!  Awesome!  Although she did not stand out much in this film, you just have to credit her for learning the 'balisong' technique in that stabbing scene.  




No comments:

Post a Comment