Tuesday, September 20, 2011

CASE 39



2009
Director:  Christian Alvart
Writer:  Ray Wright
Starring:  Renee Zellweger, Bradley Cooper, and Jodelle Ferland






The one regret I have with this movie is not seeing it two years ago.  This is what I like to refer to as a sneak attack film.  A movie that appears to guarantee disappointment, but actually is awesome!


I went to Blockbuster the other night and picked out some cheap DVDs to fill more space in my living room.  As much as I love horror films, even I must admit that 85% of them suck balls to the core.  In my opinion, even if the story sucks, I feel my money is well spent as long as I at least get one cool death scene.  Not only did this film fulfill my quench for blood, but it was an all around cool flick.  


First and foremost, I love love love a child actor who can play two personalities.  How the fuck do they that?  When Jodelle Ferland first appears on screen, you automatically sympathize for her.  She literally looks like a child who has been through torturous abuse to the point where she is in that numb stage.  I remember being horrified and offended with the "oven" scene in the beginning, but by the time the credits roll it all comes clear to the viewing eye.  I cannot stress enough how talented this kid is, however, it probably has something to do with that fact that this actress has the face and height of an eight year-old, but will actually be turning seventeen next month.  Teenager or not, she still rocks!


The chill her little voice sends down your spine is priceless.  It is quite an achievement to manipulate the audience just as she did with Renee Zellweger.  She softens your heart right before she raises your arm hairs.  Not only do I give her tons of credit for her creepy way of verbalizing threats, but I must pat the back of writer Ray Wright for providing her with such a unique script.  


Another thing about horror movies that can make or break a story in my eyes is the realism behind the plot.  If it can't happen in real life, it doesn't scare me.  Sorry, but zombies, were-panthers, and other random creatures of the night just don't cut it in my book.  I do, however, believe in the existence of ghosts and demons.  I would not necessarily place this type of movie in the science fiction genre, however, I suppose you need to possess a spiritual and open mind to believe something of the sort could possibly happen in real life.     


This film executed my expectations for horror films.  It concludes with a believable ending that had an appropriate amount of blood and unique death scenes intertwined in its solid plot.  I definitely recommend this movie for those who seek a two hour escape to horror heaven.  As the credits roll over the creepy ending music, you will find yourself feeling grateful you are not being swallowed up by your own interpretation of hell.  After all, what is YOUR worst nightmare?  





No comments:

Post a Comment