Tuesday, April 5, 2011

THE FIGHTER

2010
Director:  David O. Russell
Writers:  Scott Silver, Paul Tamasy, Eric Johnson, and Keith Dorrington
Starring:  Mark Wahlberg, Christian Bale, and Melissa Leo

This movie is based on the true story of Micky Ward and Dicky Eklund.  These half brothers and boxers are well known as a result of their fight through poverty, drug abuse, and all the problems that arose from them.  Oh, and because an awesome movie was recently released on DVD that sheds awareness and shines a spotlight on their bruised faces.

My heart was touched by this movie for several reasons.  First, thanks to my Dad, I love boxing and was instantly intrigued by that alone.  I have always drawn attraction to movies based on wicked and bloody fight scenes.  My Dad informed me that Ward indeed went on to fight Arturo Gatti a few times, winning and losing.  I also learned from him that Gatti died two years ago.  Although it was ruled as a suicide, there is some controversy that his wife pulled a "Courtney Love" and killed him.

Melissa Leo is now on my top actress list (this list consists of people I fantasize working on the set with on a daily basis).  Her performance playing the role of the mother, Alice Ward, yanked my attention.  Her white trash attitude and mannerisms are critically credible.  The scene where she and her six or seven daughters pile into her Hot Wheels sized car to initiate a screaming match and cat fight with Micky's girlfriend, is a perfect visual to express her lifestyle.  This cigarette crazed lady was more notable than her sons in my eyes.

Alice's neglect to acknowledge her oldest son's crack addiction filled my heart with sympathy for her.  The way she failed to show weakness from society's opinion of the problem is priceless.  Micky reacted differently to the problem, like one would hope he would, however, his decisions and actions halted Dicky's high.  Micky's love for his family and his refusal to box outside Dicky's corner squirted tears from my eyes.  It's a must see!

And ladies, don't throw in the white towel just yet.  There is a small love story that takes place right outside the ropes.  Let's just say the key to this girl's heart is a ring of course, but not the diamond type.


No comments:

Post a Comment