Friday, June 7, 2013

THE PURGE (SPOILER EDITION)


Although I think this movie rocked, I do think some things could have been better.  If you have ever read any of my blogs you should know what I think about the first ten minutes of horror movies.  Somebody has to get bloody and die!  After all, it is why people watch these kinds of films.  The introduction was okay, but instead of showing surveillance footage of beatings, I think the movie should have opened up with a flashback from last year's purge.  A girl is running late while coming home from work.  She steps inside her home a few minutes into the twelve hour purge session and takes a breath of relief.  All of a sudden...BOOM!  Masked people attack and the scene cuts and flashes back to the present day where Ethan Hawke's character is driving home.  I feel this would have added immediate tension and suspense to the story.  

As I said in my previous blog, the ending was slightly predictable with the homeless victim helping the family in the end.  I personally thought the mother should have been killed, leaving the children, with the help of the homeless victim, to fully participate and indulge in what the purge is all about.  I really thought the little boy was going to live up to his creepy presence and kill someone, but I was let down.  I feel that it would be ironic for the kids to be the murdering heros and protectors in the end because they, like most of the people in the audience, admit they have too big of a heart to perform such things, but I believe when you and your family's lives are at stake your capabilities will surprise you.  I also was not impressed when the mother let her neighbors keep their lives.  I mean, is that going to be awkward for them tomorrow?


The leader of the purge gang is played by Rhys Wakefield.  I really admired his performance.  I thought his attitude and personality were sinister.  He portrayed a realistic and emotionless sociopath.  His odd balance of politeness twisted with his evil were effective on screen.  He had "the look" in his eyes, and a smile that can make your spine tingle.  


I really dug the whole story line with the daughter's boyfriend.  I was expecting him to contribute to the family's night of horror, however, I was not expecting him to shoot and die so quickly and at the same time the brother was letting a stranger into their home.  The suspense was overwhelming!  I also liked how the neighbors came into play.  I liked how I was thrown off with their random, heroic acts, only to be later blinded by their evil.  It's just a shame more people didn't die in the film.  (Although I did like that face smash by the mom in the end!)


Oh, and by the way...can anyone tell me who the masked girl was?  After Ethan Hawke's character kills her and takes off her mask, the camera studies her face too long to be an accident.  Unfortunately, I did not recognize her, but I have a feeling it must be his secretary who he speaks with on the way home from work in the beginning of the movie.  If my memory is correct, she is the only female in the story aside from the main characters and neighbors.  Let me know if you caught that!









No comments:

Post a Comment