Thursday, February 24, 2011

ANYONE'S SON and 4CHOSEN

ANYONE'S SON

I cannot stress enough the amount of arm hair that stands up when just thinking about Anyone’s Son.  I found Starline Films while reading a small article on this upcoming film in Weird NJ.  Ever since that day, I have felt an energetic connection to it, and am so proud to have the opportunity of a lifetime of helping see this film born. Considering I am well aware of the allegedly true events of Harry De La Roche, I assumed the script would bore me.  I am overjoyed to report how I wrong I was!  I fell in love with this script, and hope to meet the screenwriter one day soon. 

There were many points in the script that struck me as I eagerly breezed through the pages.  First, I was really intrigued by the decision to portray Ronnie as a suspect throughout the entire story.  I feel this is crucial in keeping the reader and future viewer on the edge of his seat.  It also adds to the effects of the open-ended climax.   I also admire the way the writer used the opening scene with the unlocked doors, and then allowed society and time to update the similar ending scene.  I thought this was really interesting and significant because it is so realistic and true how much things have changed over just these past few decades.  I also thought the character developments were more than sufficient.  As the reader, I felt an overwhelming emotion of sympathy for Harry and all the abuse the entire family received from Harry Sr.  Aside from young Harry’s wimpy mannerisms and lifestyle being broadcasted through his text words, the side characters were well developed also.  Ronnie’s anger and lunatic ways are clearly portrayed through his rebellious actions and words.  Mrs. De La Roche’s typical conservative and old-fashioned ways of being an obedient and naive wife are as clear as her husband’s crazed demeanor shown throughout the story.


The only thing I feel needs more work and emphasizing is the scene that features Harry Jr. being interrogated for the murders.  I feel this scene is critical and should emphasize such brutal long hours without common necessities.  This is crucial when trying to get the audience to believe an innocent person could possibly confess to something so horrific.

4CHOSEN

Although Anyone’s Son is my favorite, I still think the 4CHOSEN script is
amazing.  I especially like how the background stories of the “4 Chosen” and the State Trooper are shown simultaneously.  I think this forces the reader/audience to sympathize and relate to both sides of the situation.  By showing the strenuous work from both sides it makes it difficult to pin the blame on someone, and this helps the ending really shine.  I also feel that adds effectiveness to the scene when the boys are getting pulled over and they try to switch drivers, but the cops have no idea what they are up to.  The fact that the camera takes the point of view of both the boys’ car and the trooper’s car, we can easily understand why people behaved and reacted the way they did. The character developments are decent.  I felt connected to Keshon because we get to meet his family, but the other three boys are almost strangers.  I feel that adding a bit more to their character backgrounds can only help the success of the story.  I also like how the NJ government was portrayed during this situation, and how they played such a large role in the outcome.  Finally, I do think this has a lot of potential because true events always hit close to home.

No comments:

Post a Comment