Friday, September 11, 2015

RoCkY Colorado: The Things You Can Hear Over the Phone

Halloween is creeping up on us.  Let's embrace the scares that come along with the leaf falling season and get our blood pumping with some true stories of horror.  

Back in April while I was visiting Denver, Colorado, I discovered that the internet holds an endless amount of chilling stories that happened over the years in the large state of Colorado.  Being the weirdo that I am, of course I spent time driving to creepy places to photograph the eerie energy dancing in the wind.  

Just recently, I thoroughly researched the two stories and areas I visited, and I found them to be a little more heart wrenching and blood curdling than I originally thought.  Somehow, the few pictures I have hold so much more terror now while looking at them as opposed to the day I actually captured the shots.  

The first place I cruised my rental to was a Seven Eleven located at West Colfax Avenue and Perry Street in Denver.  On Saturday, December 20, 1997, nineteen year-old, Michael Avila, was beaten to death while his fiancee, Tia Jacobson, listened on the other end of the Seven Eleven pay phone.  While attempting to dig up facts on this horrible murder, I searched through years worth of unsolved crimes resting in the Denver Police Department Cold Case Unit in order to find it.  With the help of this combined with the Denver Post, I was able to process the true emotion and devastation behind that wicked time.  

The more detailed version of the story reveals that the once kick boxer asked his brother, Mark, to drive him to the Seven Eleven pay phone to call his fiancee around 2:30AM.  There, an unknown man got out of his 1987 Buick Riviera and joined two other nameless men, who jumped over a fence near the convenience store parking lot,in bashing their victim to a bloody pulp.   Michael died twelve hours later in the hospital.  Unfortunately, these three random slayers caught Michael off guard.  Although he had trained in martial arts, he also had been battling testicular cancer for the past ten months.  

Although this intense mystery is negatively haunting, there is a brighter light that I came across during my mini investigation. Prior to this grisly event, Mark claimed that Michael disclosed a dream he had.  Michael told Mark that in his dream he was jumped and wouldn't be there to witness the birth of Mark's child.  Even more intriguing, Michael reportedly stated, "Don't be surprised if the baby looks like me."  He then proceeded to tell Mark how he was going to be reincarnated through Mark's unborn baby.  

Even though this reincarnation cannot truly be confirmed, nor denied for that matter, the one strange thing my research did reveal is that the baby's due date was February 12 and Michael's birthday was February 13.  Again, no confirmation, but certainly something that makes you go hmmm.  






My second Rocky Colorado exploration is up next...

1 comment:

  1. excellent read, i never stopped reading no matter what disturbance abound,

    ReplyDelete